In partnership with WellStop, we are the provider ACC’s Mates and Dates programme in the Wellington Region, Taranaki, Manawatu-Whanganui, Hawke’s Bay and Gisborne.
What is it?
Mates & Dates is a multi-year programme that is taught to years 9-13 in one 50-minute session each week for five weeks. It supports the four underlying and interdependent concepts at the heart of the Health and Physical Education Learning area, targeted at levels 4-8 of The New Zealand Curriculum. Mates & Dates aims to teach young people how to:
- have healthy relationships based on respect, negotiation and consent
- identify inappropriate behaviour
- get help if they, or someone they know, are in an unhealthy relationship
- safely intervene in situations that could lead to harm.
Mates & Dates is a strengths-based programme that believes all young people are able act with respect towards their mates, dates, and family in all interactions. Each year’s content is appropriate for that age group and is taught by male and female facilitators.
- 15-24 year olds are the group most at risk from violence by current and ex-partners.
- 1 in 5 female and 1 in 10 male secondary school students report unwanted sexual contact or being made to do unwanted sexual things.
- 37% describe it as severe and 57% tell no-one.
- working with young people is one of the most effective ways of preventing sexual and dating violence